Friday, June 19, 2009

Film....an Ancient Ritual and my newest Squeeze!

There is something so cerebral about the experience of using film again after many years of becoming a slave to digital.
In this digital world we live in, something as primitive as using film makes me feel as if I'm alone in a new world where I am constantly discovering a new and fascinating style of photography.

All this is pretty funny because film is where it all started, but it has really become lost in this cheap, instant gratification world of digital. And gosh darn it, it's sad! Now, I am by NO means giving up on digital (no way!) but I am entering a new stage of experimenting and have been loving it so far!

I got my hands recently on an old family medium format camera (Hasselblad to be exact) and these are a few attempts at my first couple of rolls. These cameras are so sensitive and touchy that only a few turned out, but hey, this is my first try! It's also a pain in the butt to load the film into a medium format camera, so this is why you will see some "interesting" exposures.....but, all in all, I feel so incredibly retro that I can't stand it! And me, I love all things vintage, so I figured film was the next step in that obsession.

Tomorrow I am swinging the "Hass" (as I lovingly call him now) along with me to a wedding to try out some portrait stuff with film for the first time at a real life wedding (yikes). But, these will be merely practice and I am still shooting the whole wedding digital, of course. Who knows though??? Maybe I will get the hang of this thing and make the Hass a more frequent prop at all my shoots!!!

Hope you like my feeble attempts to be a "real" photographer :)

Also, these are kind of small when posted here on my blog, so if you want to see them larger (because they look cooler larger) click on the picture itself and it will take you to my flickr account where you can view these life size!

Other than my Dad making a stupid face, I love this one. And all the red on the outside of the image is because when I tried to take the film out, it got a bit exposed to light (ooops) but I think it's sorta bitchin'!
fixed_89390001
fixed_89390002
fixed_89390003
fixed_89390005
fixed_89390004
fixed_89390009
fixed_89390007
fixed_89390006

Still practicing focusing while looking through the top of a box.
fixed_89390010

Okay, so I totally exposed this particular piece of film and you can't see my hubb's face, but I think it's kinda cool in a "Wow she's a total beginner with that Hass" kind of way!!!
fixed_89390011

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Well your Auntie is still shooting with her F100...I love film...but hate the expense.

Daniel Topete said...

wow, the hass is a beautiful camera. i shoot with a rolleicord but hardly ever color. I like the effect it gives. good luck with the wedding